Who better to get advice from a local who’s also one of the best skiers in the world? World Alpine Skiing Champion Marco Odermatt gives an interview about his ultimate tips for winter sports in Switzerland. According to him, winter is the most beautiful season in Switzerland. How can you best experience this for yourself? Read quickly.
Tips for winter sports in Switzerland
Snow-covered landscapes, deep fluffy snow, diverse slopes and alternative activities, there is a lot to experience in Switzerland. What do you really need to know before Winter Sports Week in Switzerland? And how can you experience a perfect week in the snow? Marco Odermatt offers these tips:
- Sleeping on or near slopes: In Switzerland you can stay on or near the slopes in many ski areas. At a ski-in, ski-out property, you’re first on the slopes in the morning. There are also a number of Snow Sport Hotels, which are billed as “the perfect accommodation for all snow sports enthusiasts”.
- Ski lessons for all age groups: Whether you are discovering the most beautiful holiday of the year for the first time or want to improve as an advanced winter sports enthusiast, you will learn a lot through ski lessons. In Switzerland there are about 150 ski schools where you can book a lesson. Reach a higher level while doing winter sports in Switzerland! More information >
Unique tips for the Swiss Alps
Winter sports in Switzerland are great fun. From culinary delights to traditional dishes and relaxing destinations, there are a number of things you should not miss during your winter vacation. Do you really want to make something special about your holiday? It is best to follow one or both of these tips!
- Book a private one-night stay: a log igloo, a luxury tent, an Inuit house, an igloo made of ice and snow or a tree house, in Switzerland you can choose unique accommodations. Discover all the possibilities ›
- Definitely go once (or every evening). 😉) Fondue: Do you want absolute Switzerland? Then fondue is part of it. In Switzerland you can try this traditional dish in different ways. You can dine in a traditional fondue chalet, but you can also dine in a pop-up restaurant or in a fondue gondola. You can make it as crazy as you want!
Swiss tips for après ski activities
Winter sports in Switzerland are about much more than just hitting the slopes. For the ultimate skiing experience, you should also take a moment of rest on the slopes and experience après ski. How to fully indulge in après ski activities? This is what Marco Odermatt says:
- Accommodation in a hotel with its own après-ski activities: Where can you best enjoy après ski? There are many accommodations with après ski activities and/or their own club. If you stay here, you won’t have a long way to sleep, so you can have a drink with peace of mind at the end of the day.
- Find a nice terrace for après ski: The best place to enjoy après-ski in Switzerland is up the mountain, in a mountain hut, on the balcony, with a view of the beautiful mountains. While enjoying a drink, you can indulge in delicious cuisine, relax in the sun and enjoy the surroundings. Where to go for relaxing après ski? Read more >
Final travel tip
You can benefit from a discount on your ski pass, accommodation and equipment rental if you travel by train to Switzerland for winter sports next winter. Ride & Slide is a new promotion in several major ski areas in collaboration with the train company Railtour.
In 20 ski areas in Switzerland, you will benefit from a discount this winter if you travel by train. In the context of sustainability, people are trying to motivate winter sports enthusiasts to ride the train. A train from Amsterdam to Basel leaves every day in high season. From here it is easy to reach ski destinations. How does the ride and slide work? You buy an international train ticket from your accommodation to one of the participating ski areas, then you get a personal discount code that you can redeem at different places. You can use the discount code online and on-site at your winter sports destination.
Would you like to book and book your winter sports vacation in Switzerland? View all accommodation options and offers on the MySwitzerland website.
➡️ All offers
This article was written in collaboration with MySwitzerland.
Zombie specialist. Friendly twitter guru. Internet buff. Organizer. Coffee trailblazer. Lifelong problem solver. Certified travel enthusiast. Alcohol geek.