Streaming giant Netflix is rolling out an idea to capitalize on the new revenue: Netflix Houses. These will be their own stores where fans can virtually relive the atmosphere of their favorite series. We’ll have to wait until 2025 for the first one to open.
In the news: Netflix Homes is coming. The first is planned for the US, but the streaming giant plans to roll it out globally. Netflix wants to “provide an immersive experience” for fans of its series, said Josh Simon, director of consumer products. Bloomberg.
What we can expect: It’s not just about buying Stranger Things or Squid Game merchandise.
- Netflix Houses will also be a dining venue, with themed dishes, as well as games and events dedicated to its series.
- An obstacle course based on the Squid toy is also being considered.
- The concept isn’t exactly new: The video giant has already opened its own restaurant, Netflix Bites, in Los Angeles.
- Netflix has also prepared several installations to release a new season of one of its popular series, but they have always been temporary. These stores will be the company’s first permanent physical experience.
Ambition: By combining different activities such as shopping, dining and entertainment, Netflix aims to make its stores a place that people visit regularly.
- CEO Ted Sarandos emphasized that Netflix Homes will be “a place you can go multiple times a month, not just once every few years” like Disneyland. This suggests a fairly quick rotation of events to keep customers coming back.
- Thus the circle is complete: after Disney focused on streaming, Netflix is now diversifying into the world of entertainment and theme parks.
Financial picture: Series like Stranger Things or Squid Game have created a high demand for all kinds of promotional products and clothing related to the characters. If Netflix can sell all of this directly to fans through its retail network, it will create a new revenue stream for the streaming giant.
Evil tv scholar. Proud twitter aficionado. Travel ninja. Hipster-friendly zombie fanatic.