Things are not going very well for the UK at the moment. London has been placed first in more serious new Tier 4 measures (along with many surrounding areas) due to the spread of a new, more contagious viral strain. Then, starting on Sunday, December 20, several countries began banning travel from the UK entirely to avoid importing the new variety. Over 40 countries have banned or severely restricted arrivals from the UK: see the full list below.
Although countries have already quarantined arrivals from the United Kingdom, and British residents are not encouraged or prevented from non-essential travel under the latest rules, the total flight suspension also affects essential travel, business travel and other trips that were previously permitted under restrictions. UK and local.
And with many UK citizens already worried about travel in Europe after Brexit starting January 1, the most recent suspension of flights (and the possibility of extending them beyond early January) is an additional concern for anyone hoping to escape from the UK. To spend some winter days. Or to meet Christmas with friends or relatives abroad.
Here is the latest list of countries that currently do not allow travel from the UK:
- Belgium: Eurostar flights and trains suspended for an initial 24-hour period on December 21, which could be extended to “ one to two weeks ”
- Bulgaria: Ban continues until at least January 31
- Czech Republic
- Denmark: Ban continues until at least December 23
- Estonia: Ban continues until at least December 31
- Finland: The ban continues until at least January 4
- France: All flights, including Eurostar and freight trains, have been suspended
- Germany: Ban continues until at least December 31; It also prohibits flights from South Africa
- Ireland: Ban (on flights only) until at least 22 December
- Italy: Ban continues until at least January 6; Italian residents are exempt
- Netherlands: Ban (including ferries) until at least 1 January
- North Macedonia
- Portugal: Portuguese residents are exempt but must test negative
- Romania: Ban continues until at least January 4
- Russia: The ban continues until at least January 5
- Spain: Ban from December 22nd. Spanish citizens and residents are exempt
- Sweden: Ban continues until at least December 24; Also a travel ban from Denmark. Swedish citizens are exempt
- Switzerland: Travel from South Africa is also banned
- Turkey: Travel from Denmark and the Netherlands is also banned
Greece has not suspended flights, but has introduced tougher quarantine measures for UK passengers.
- Canada: The ban continues until December 24
- The savior
- Hong Kong
- Iran: Ban continues until at least January 3
- Jamaica: Ban continues until at least January 4
- Jordan: Ban continues until at least January 3
- Kuwait: All international flights suspended
- Morocco, West, sunset
- Oman: All international flights suspended for at least one week
- Pakistan: Ban continues until at least December 29
- Peru: All travelers from Europe banned
- Saudi Arabia: All international flights suspended for at least a week
- Sudan: Ban continues until at least January 10; It also prohibited travelers from the Netherlands and South Africa
- Tunisia: Travelers from Australia and South Africa are also banned
The United States and the Philippines are reportedly considering a flight ban in the United Kingdom, and at least one airline has stepped up restrictions on who can fly.
We will keep updating this story with the latest information, so check back soon.
Where can I travel now? Here’s what you need to know.
Avid music fanatic. Communicator. Social media expert. Award-winning bacon scholar. Alcohol fan.