– News/travel news
Until now, Dutch citizens could travel to the UK with a valid passport and did not need a visa or other documents as tourists. If it were up to the British government, that would change this fall with the introduction of the ETA, the Electronic Travel Authorization. Initially, travelers from Qatar must apply starting in the fall semester. This will also apply to travelers from other countries, including the Netherlands.
When and how do you apply for an ETA?
ETA is offered and is valid for tourism, business trips, short-term studies and medical treatment. Anyone wishing to stay for a period longer than three months or for another reason not permitted under the Expected Travel Authorization must apply for a visa.
To obtain a prospective travel permit in the UK, you will need the following:
- A digital copy of your biometric Dutch passport;
- An active email address where all information regarding your ETA UK application will be sent.
- You must have a credit or debit card with sufficient funds to cover the processing costs.
- At the British border, travel permission is checked when examining the Dutch passport.
Please note: Dutch children traveling from the Netherlands to the UK also need an approved electronic arrival permit.
What do you fill out in the online application form?
You must submit the application form online before traveling to the UK. It requests the following:
- Personal data: full name, age, gender, place and date of birth;
- Contact details: email address and phone number;
- Travel details: passport number, date of issue and expiry date;
- Anyone with a criminal record must state this on the application;
- All questions must be answered honestly as any error or incorrect information may result in a refusal or delay of expected arrival in the UK.
Dutch citizens can pay the processing fee, which is expected to be £20, to ETA UK using a credit or debit card. This is the last step before submitting the application form.
The processing time for obtaining permission to travel to the UK is up to 3 working days. It is strongly recommended that you place your order a week in advance in case of unexpected delays.
Once the application is approved, you will receive your travel authorization via email. This is valid for two years, unless you apply for a new passport in the meantime. You must also apply for a new ETA as it is linked to your passport. The UK ETA program is similar to other visa waiver programs that you apply for online, such as ESTA (USA), ETA-CA (Canada) and Australian ETA visas.
Traveling to the United Kingdom
The fastest way to travel from the Netherlands to the UK is by plane. There are daily direct flights taking just over an hour from Amsterdam to major UK cities including London, Manchester, Bristol, Belfast and Liverpool. Find out the best flight tickets via Skyscanner here; Or kayak tickets.
Book a hotel on Booking.com instantly
An ETA is also required at UK border control points by boat or train. It’s easy to order train tickets from NS International
Zombie specialist. Friendly twitter guru. Internet buff. Organizer. Coffee trailblazer. Lifelong problem solver. Certified travel enthusiast. Alcohol geek.