EA Sports is the reference when it comes to sports games for a mass audience. F120 game23 is partly inspired by the hit Netflix series Drive to Survive, says Lee Mather, creative director of EA Sports.
“The Year of Max”, FORMULA 1 Magazine’s special programme, contains an extensive interview with Lee Mather and his colleague Stuart Campbell, Formula 1’s Chief Technical Director, about the creation of the game, developments and collaboration with Max Verstappen. Read an excerpt of the interview here.
“We took a lot of inspiration from Drive to Survive,” Mather told FORMULA 1 Magazine. “As you can see from the viewing numbers for Formula 1, the sport is becoming increasingly popular in the US. With so many races in the US, I think Netflix has really helped Formula 1 conquer America. By showing the excitement of the sport, the personalities, the drivers and not only Action on the track. As a Formula 1 fan, I can enjoy that every weekend, but some people just need something else to get going.
“Netflix is also having a commercial impact on the game.”
“At EA, we work with screenwriters. If we see something in Drive to Survive that we think would be fun for the game, we’ll redirect that scene and ask you to watch it. In that sense, Drive to Survive influenced the story. But of course the sport itself has a long, rich history.” “So much so that there would have been enough inspiration even without this series. Naturally, the success of Drive to Survive and thus the promotion of the sport will have a commercial impact on the game. This is a positive thing, we think, haha.”
- Max Verstappen is now an ambassador for the game. In the past he has sometimes criticized the quality of Formula 1 games. Did you also discuss the game with Max?
Mather: “We want to increase our involvement with Max, but initially it was a business cooperation. We have other plans to deepen the cooperation, but we can’t say anything about that yet.”
View the full 2024 F1 calendar here
The double-thick book The Year of Max (132 pages!) from FORMULA 1 magazine is now in stores (or in your home as a subscriber). The magazine can also be read and ordered digitally, with free delivery throughout the Netherlands. Enjoy fascinating interviews, backgrounds, reports from the ring, historical stories, sharp columns, beautiful photography, and much more. This problem includes:
- A candid conversation with Max: “Sports success does not define my entire life”
- Exclusive interview: Jos Verstappen on peaks and valleys
- Visit Jens Munser: This is how Max’s helmet is sprayed
- Interview with Nico de Jong, mastermind of Verstappen.com
- Photo report: Max’s year through the lens of Peter van Egmond
- ENTER AND WIN: The big F1 photo contest with great prizes
- BONUS: Huge double-sided poster with 2024 calendar
- Win signed F1 books and the EA Sports F1 2023 game
- All about the last two GPs of 2023 in Las Vegas and Abu Dhabi and much more!
Evil tv scholar. Proud twitter aficionado. Travel ninja. Hipster-friendly zombie fanatic.