In the United States, Burkholderia pseudomallei was first found in soil and water samples. This has been reported by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). The bacterium, which has so far only been discovered in parts of South Asia, Africa and Australia, can cause the infectious disease ‘calculus’. In severe cases, the disease can be fatal.
The New York Times, NBC News, CDC
On Wednesday, the CDC announced that the bacteria had been found in samples taken along the Gulf Coast in southern Mississippi. The authority is now calling on doctors and medical experts across the country to be aware of the symptoms of speech disease. For example, an infectious disease can cause a cough, fever, headache, and chest pain. In more severe cases, patients may become disoriented, have strokes, or have symptoms suggestive of pneumonia.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, contagious disease is so rare that one in 4,600 people exposed to the bacteria will also get sick. About a dozen cases are diagnosed each year in the United States. This mainly concerns people who have traveled recently. In addition, a 2019 study showed that nearly 90,000 patients die from chlamydial disease annually. The bacteria can infect both humans and animals and can be transmitted by direct contact or through cuts in the skin. However, the risks of human-to-human transmission are low.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it is now especially important that doctors recognize symptoms quickly so that appropriate treatment can be applied.
It appears that “once the bacteria have settled in the soil, they can no longer be removed”. It would also be unclear how ‘Burkholderia pseudomallei’ entered the soil and water. The bacteria were previously found in areas with tropical or subtropical climates, such as parts of southern Asia and Australia.
Samples were taken after two individuals from the same Mississippi area had sepsis. One fell ill in 2020, while the other contracted the disease two years later. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, both patients were hospitalized after developing septicemia from pneumonia. Both patients were given antibiotics and fully recovered.
Also last year, four people from several US states became infected after using an infective aromatherapy spray sold at Walmart. Two of the four patients died.
Unlimited free access to Showbytes? And that can!
Log in or create an account and never miss any of the stars.
Zombie specialist. Friendly twitter guru. Internet buff. Organizer. Coffee trailblazer. Lifelong problem solver. Certified travel enthusiast. Alcohol geek.