Motorists are obligated to keep their car windows – front, rear and side – completely free of ice, so as not to obstruct vision. Otherwise, you can get a fine of €280 and €300 next year. Then zero? This is possible, but there are more options.
Let’s start with what not to do. Never defrost your car windows with hot water, as they may crack. Also not allowed is the so-called potato tip, where you use half a squeak to pre-stain your window. Potatoes create lines and thus limit your vision.
Removing ice from your car without a scraper: 5 tips
1. The most effective trick for keeping your windows ice-free is simple: Place a piece of cardboard or barrier in front of your front and back windows. Place it under the windshield wipers so it doesn’t freeze.
2. An alternative that has emerged in recent years: Mix two parts alcohol with one part water and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Then you spray the alcohol mixture on the window and the layer of ice melts like snow in the sun.
3. Not only can the outside of your windshield obstruct your view, but it can also completely fog up and even freeze on the inside. You can scrub the window on the steam deposits using a little cleaning agent or shampoo.
4. If you don’t have an electrically heated windshield – like most Dutch people – you of course want the heat from the blowers to defog your windshield as quickly as possible, which will also remove any snow or ice. You can speed up this process, which seems to take forever when the engine is cold, by lowering the sun visors. Behind that, the warm air from the blowers lingers better and is therefore more effective at keeping your windshield dry and warm.
5. Do not let the engine overheat while defrosting your car window. It’s bad for the engine and the environment, you’re breathing in unhealthy gases as you work and the engine barely warms up.
Here’s what you don’t know about your ice scraper
Of course you can also scratch your windows. Place the window scraper at an angle on the car window. If the layer of ice is thick or there is snow on it, use the back of the scraper. It penetrates the layer like a kind of shovel, then uses the sharp part to push the rest of the snow and ice away. Additionally, definitely don’t use your windshield wipers. The windshield wiper rubber will wear out faster, and there is a possibility that the windshield wiper motor or fuse will fail.
Other tips for getting through the winter:
• To defog your windows, you can also use your air conditioner by setting the fan to the highest “recirculation” setting and aiming it directly at the windshield. Your air conditioner is always blowing very dry air into your car.
• If you stop the car when the weather is very cold or about to freeze, it is best not to use the hand brake. It is best to park your car in first gear. The handbrake can freeze.
• Avoid dead battery? When starting, turn off all lights and energy consumers, such as ventilation, rear window heater, seat heater and radio. This will put less strain on your battery. Is it empty after all? Nowadays, it’s better to seek professional help than to try to get started with patch cables yourself. This way, it prevents any damage to modern and sensitive electronic systems.
Free unlimited access to Showbytes? Which can!
Log in or create an account and never miss a thing from the stars.
Zombie specialist. Friendly twitter guru. Internet buff. Organizer. Coffee trailblazer. Lifelong problem solver. Certified travel enthusiast. Alcohol geek.