Since Azerbaijan’s invasion of Nagorno-Karabakh, more than 100,000 people have left the Armenian enclave, according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. This means that a large part of the indigenous population has left the area.
Until recently, about 120,000 people, most of them Armenians, lived on the disputed plot of land.
“Many refugees are hungry and exhausted and in need of immediate assistance,” said Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees.
In recent days, there have been long traffic jams as thousands of people travel from the enclave in Azerbaijan to Armenia via the only possible land connection.
The United Nations had previously announced that it was ready to receive all 120,000 residents of Nagorno-Karabakh in Armenia. The organization also said that Azerbaijan is guilty of ethnic cleansing. Azerbaijan wants the region to be fully integrated into the rest of the country.
The de facto administration of Nagorno-Karabakh has also given up fighting for the region. Earlier this week, the separatist government signed documents to officially dissolve its republic on January 1 next year.
Zombie specialist. Friendly twitter guru. Internet buff. Organizer. Coffee trailblazer. Lifelong problem solver. Certified travel enthusiast. Alcohol geek.