Neal Maupay’s saved penalty proved pivotal as Brighton and Leicester played out a drab Leading League goalless draw at the King Electric power Stadium.
Frenchman Maupay, Brighton’s hero in the preceding sport with a late winner versus Arsenal, experienced his 1st-50 % spot-kick brilliantly held by Kasper Schmeichel low to his suitable.
It was the only opportunity of observe in a lacklustre match, not assisted by an vacant stadium or the scorching weather.
The position consolidated Leicester’s hold on third place in the desk, 9 factors very clear of Manchester United in fifth, while Brighton moved 6 points away from the relegation zone.
A single to forget about
There have been question marks over the leisure factor in some best-flight games since the restart and this fixture will not reside prolonged in the memory.
Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers may possibly be anxious by his side’s downturn in form in the next 50 % of the time – they have won only a person of their previous seven video game, acquiring at 1 phase been the closest rivals to runaway league leaders Liverpool.
Meanwhile, Brighton’s win towards Arsenal on Saturday was their very first of the 12 months and they have lots of get the job done to do to preserve their top rated-flight position with Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool still to engage in, as properly as a vital fixture in opposition to base-of-the-table Norwich.
Leicester captain Schmeichel built a person preserve in the total contest but it was essential as he guessed the proper way to preserve out Maupay’s thumping penalty, awarded soon after Justin James bundled about Aaron Connolly in the spot.
At the other close, the studies will clearly show Brighton goalkeeper Mat Ryan as having manufactured two stops, while they had been additional akin to go backs than attempts on aim.
Leicester playmaker James Maddison scarcely manufactured a mark on the game – he lashed a shot over in stress – whilst striker Jamie Vardy’s wait for his 100th Leading League target carries on.
Leicester deal with Chelsea in the FA Cup sixth round on Sunday at 16:00 BST, while Brighton host Manchester United in the league on Tuesday at 20:15.
Shot shy – the stats
- Leicester have unsuccessful to rating in four of their earlier 6 Premier League games (W1 D3 L2), as lots of as they had in their earlier 26 game titles
- Brighton have held again-to-back absent thoroughly clean sheets for only the 2nd time in the Premier League, acquiring done so in November 2017 underneath Chris Hughton
- This was the very first Premier League game to see no photographs on focus on recorded in the second half considering the fact that Boxing Working day 2018, when Brighton drew 1-1 from Arsenal
- Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel has saved the earlier two penalties he has faced in the Leading League (also v Gentleman City), as lots of as he experienced in his former 23 penalties faced in the competition
- Brighton’s starting up XI from Leicester experienced an average age of 25 several years 182 times – the youngest they have named in 107 Leading League game titles to day
- Tariq Lamptey (Brighton and Chelsea) is the 1st teen to element in a Premier League match for two different clubs in the exact year considering the fact that Harry Kane in 2012-13 (Spurs and Norwich)
Tv fanatic. Freelance thinker. Social media enthusiast. Total bacon lover. Communicator.