Cristobal is lucky to advance by one after committing three turns and allowing 246 yards from attack.
A 57-yard pass to Jaylon Redd late in the second quarter established a score for CJ Verdell to cut the lead, but both faltered and intercepted the Ducks in their wake for most of the first half.
Tyler Shawf: 12/18 – 172 yards – 1 IQ – 1 TD – 4 cars – 23 yards
Jayden de Laura: 13/21 – 168 yards – 2 dr
TD scorer(UO) Tyler Shough, DJ Johnson, CJ Verdell (WSU) Jayden De Laura, Lucas Bacon, Renard Bell
Duck yards: 228 yards – 172 walkers – 56 laps
Cougar squares: 246 yards – 168 laps – 78 lunge
Forced upside down: Ducks: 0 – Cougars: 3 (Int: 1 – Smoke: 2)
- A series of missed tackles from the second-place duck defense allowed Travel Harris to switch to Watsu’s first touchdown.
- The pressure forced Jayden de Laura to stampede and throw incomplete at 3-and-long.
- Jaylon Redd held the ball and gained five yards to start the inaugural Oregon campaign.
- DJ Johnson got his first Oregon touchdown by getting 15 yards and running in the next play.
- Tyler Shug almost shot the ball early when a cougar defender threw the ball and another Cougar nearly fell with it.
- On 3rd – & –5th, Shough took the option and shot three yards.
- Real new student Chris Hutson converted into fourth-and-2 with a nine-yard gain.
- At 2 – & – 4, Shough found Johnson to drop 13 yards.
Ducks 7 – wild cats 0
(15 plays, 92 yards, 5:50)
- The big plays of Harris and Deon McIntosh combined took 30 yards for the Cougars to start their second lead.
- McIntosh’s 29 yards reached Cougs to the Oregon 18-yard streak, and in the next play, De Laura Lucas Bacon struck for an 18-yard landing near the pylon.
- The Washington state’s two-point switch did not work
Ducks 7 – Wild Cats 6
(6 plays, 77 yards, 3:48)
- Wazzu tried the dog’s surprise kick but Oregon recovered in Oregon 45.
- At 2 – & – 1, Travis Day’s ball flopped. Aiden Hector recovered from Washington State and brought him back to Washington State 47.
- The play pass to Renard Bell cut 44 yards to Oregon 9. After three games, Bell picked up a pass in the back of the finish area.
Cougars 13 – Ducks 7
(4 plays, 53 yards, 1:33)
- Oregon’s poor performance in the first quarter then took a turn for the worse when Shug threw an interception in the second – & –10 from Oregon 38. Hector came down with a choice to force his second spin at night.
- Duck D was able to force Three – & – out after the second completion ended out of bounds and Adrian Jackson was able to stop De Laura from scrambling for the first time.
- A couple nine-yard runs from Verdell and Shough Oregon’s first engine started in the second quarter.
- The Ducks gained momentum with a gorgeous 19-yard reception from Redd.
- But after a handful of good plays, Oregon made its third turn when Shough mishandled the network in Reading Choice. Once again, Hector came up with the ball.
- McIntosh’s 20-yard gain landed the Cougars in the red, but a floped pass and a pair of deficiencies forced the Cougars to settle for Blake Mazza’s 39-yard field shot attempt, which was a hit.
Cougars 16 – Ducks 7
(7 plays, 35 yards, 3:00)
- Shough diverted in 3rd – & – 4 with an 11-yard pass to Redd to keep them going. But he failed to replicate his success in the next third – & – intermediate stage. Oregon was forced to run after a failure to complete.
- Starting at his 10-yard streak, McIntosh snapped the 15 initially down to give the drive some breathing room.
- At 3-&-3, De Laura found Harris for a 14-yard gain.
- De Laura continued Wazzu’s success in third place by passing Bell to pass 20 yards in 3rd – & – 4.
- Cougar’s final drive was halted eventually at Oregon 21, but Mazza was able to call in with a 49-yard field goal attempt to add to the lead.
Cougars 19 – Ducks 7
(13 plays, 59 yards, 6:19)
- Mikael Wright returned the continuous kick to Oregon 40.
- With less than 20 seconds remaining before the first half, Shough communicated with Redd on a botched mission that resulted in a 57-yard gain.
- In the next play, with nine seconds remaining, CJ Verdell pounded the score from three yards.
Cougars 19 – Ducks 14
(2 plays, 60 yards, 17)
- Out of clock
Tv fanatic. Freelance thinker. Social media enthusiast. Total bacon lover. Communicator.