A lady claims she “would be lifeless” experienced she not been alerted by a neighbour that her bungalow was on fireplace next a lightning strike.
Sharon Hopkinson was at house with her granddaughter in Sandiacre, Derbyshire, when it was struck on Wednesday.
Mrs Hopkinson claimed she experienced found a “flash” but was “oblivious” to the blaze was spreading throughout the roof.
It was only when she acquired outside that she saw the extent of the fire. “I assume how lucky we ended up,” she stated.
“I observed a person functioning on the green [in front of the bungalow] waving, shouting ‘get out of the home, it truly is on fire’,” she claimed.
“I could not scent or see something and the smoke alarm wasn’t going off.
“We obtained out and saw the roof engulfed in thick smoke and flames… I was just numb.
“If we had been in bed, we would have burned alive.”
The self-employed driving teacher, stated she and her spouse Kevin, who had been absent in Birmingham at the time of the hearth, ended up devastated immediately after “getting rid of anything”.
Mrs Hopkinson mentioned the roof collapsed for the duration of the fireplace and all of her furnishings was damaged and unsalvageable.
“There is not a single component of the bungalow remaining unscathed,” she claimed.
“The ceiling is down in big chunks. There is no roof – you go in and seem up to the sky.
“We don’t know what to do. We have a experience we are less than insured.”
Mrs Hopkinson, who is now keeping with her daughter, explained she has been overwhelmed by the support of her neighbours in Kings Highway.
Her stepdaughter has commenced fundraising to swap furniture the few have lost.