Ex-President of Suriname, Desi Boutros, invokes his right to remain silent over the December murders. The fact that he did not respond to the military trial on the first day of the objective handling of the issue of resistance was a surprise to those present.
The intention was specifically to be heard and told on his side of the matter, but he said everything had already been said. His attorney, Irvine Kanhai, announced that Buteres had appeared before an investigative judge at the start of this century. Kanhai told the Surinamese Star News that his statements since then have not changed.
Butters, 75, is on trial for his role in the deaths of fifteen political opponents in December 1982. He was at the time commander of the army. In 2019, he was sentenced in absentia to 20 years in prison. After he lodged a protest, the case moved again to a military court.
No additional witnesses
“It is remarkable that he did not answer the questions,” said Nina Gurna. “You expected that after he lodged the protest, he would also explain the reasons for him to do so. He also had space to call witnesses, but he didn’t.”
According to Jarna, the case gained momentum due to the silence. On May 31, the competition prosecutor, who represents the public prosecution, initiated the application. Butters’ attorney may respond to this. If the military court rules, Buteres can still appeal against him.
Zombie specialist. Friendly twitter guru. Internet buff. Organizer. Coffee trailblazer. Lifelong problem solver. Certified travel enthusiast. Alcohol geek.