Ontario Wants Better Test for COVID-19 at Airports: In The News December 22

Ontario Wants Better Test for COVID-19 at Airports: In The News December 22

Canada was easing the almost complete border shutdown that went into effect in March.

First, a narrow list of essential workers was allowed in. It was expanded to allow more workers, such as agricultural workers. The government then expanded the list of eligible family members who are able to join or visit relatives in Canada, and has since expanded that list further.

Most inbound travelers are required to quarantine for 14 days and be screened for symptoms of COVID-19. If they violate the quarantine, they could face heavy fines or jail time.

But Ford compared the way the border was run to the leaky roof on Monday.

He said nearly 64,000 people arrived at Toronto’s Pearson Airport last week alone, and indicated that they had not been subject to any oversight.

“Let’s do the test at the airport and stop the leak,” he said.

“It doesn’t matter if 10 people pass by, there are too many 10 people who will go out in the community to spread COVID.”

Also this …

The National Hockey Federation and its Players Association will try to set up a regular 56-game season in the midst of the raging second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, as every Canadian franchise competes in the top flight.

The NHL and NHLPA have left room in their plan to adapt to COVID-19.

There are still many details to work on, including whether the seven Canadian teams in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal will be allowed to play in their home arenas.

For that to happen, health officials from five counties would have to sign any plan.

Most of the counties said Monday they are reviewing the NHL proposal.

READ  Neil Armstrong in one of 2,400 NASA photographs sold at Christie's auction

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said talks are continuing on allowing NHL teams in the territory to host matches.

British Columbia Health Secretary Adrian Dix was non-binding on the NHL proposal.

“We will make some decisions in the coming days about whether the plan meets the needs of the people.”

Dr Jazz Atwal, the provincial vice president of regional public health in Manitoba, said officials there are also scrutinizing the NHL proposal, but even if the plan is approved, there won’t be any fans at the Winnipeg Jets anytime soon.

Alberta’s chief health official, Dr Dina Henshaw, indicated that a number of counties are involved in the decision as the county is considering whether to allow games in Calgary and Edmonton.

What we see in the United States …

US President-elect Joe Biden received his first dose of the Coronavirus vaccine.

The vaccine was given live on Monday as part of a growing effort to convince the American public that vaccinations are safe.

Biden took a dose of the Pfizer vaccine in a hospital not far from his home in Delaware, hours after his wife, Jill Biden, did the same.

The president-elect wrapped the left sleeve from the turtleneck to his shoulder, then refused the option to count to three before inserting the needle into his left arm.

“You can go ahead anytime you are ready,” he told the nurse practitioner who performed the shot.

Biden stressed the safety of the vaccine, and said that President Donald Trump’s administration “deserves some credit” for launching the vaccine deployment process “on the ground.”

Elected Vice President Kamala Harris and her husband are expected to receive their first vaccinations next week.

What we see in the rest of the world …

READ  The government is considering changing the system of anti-Covid levels again after December 2

The European Union has approved a coronavirus vaccine developed by BioNTech and Pfizer to be used across the 27-nation bloc.

There is hope that European Union countries will start giving first shots of people shortly after Christmas.

The European Union’s executive committee gave the green light just hours after the European Medicines Agency announced that the vaccine met safety and quality standards.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said: “As we promised, this vaccine will be available to all European Union countries at the same time, and with the same conditions.” “That’s a very good way to end this difficult year, and finally to start turning the page on COVID-19.”

Vaccine deliveries are expected to begin next Saturday, with vaccinations starting across the European Union between December 27 and December 29.

On this day in 1986 …

The Quebec Court of Appeals ruled that four sections of Quebec’s controversial language law were invalid. After Canada’s Supreme Court upheld the decision, Quebec’s legislature passed a new law two years later that only allows French on outside store signs and bilingual signs inside.

In entertainment …

Michelle Latimer says she is quitting the second season of the original CBC TV series “Trickster”.

Thunder Bay director, Ont, says she will leave production after seeking advice about concerns raised about the accuracy of her alleged original ancestors.

She worked as a co-creator and director of the show.

Latimer posted a message on Facebook on Monday saying, “I’ve listened to my community and feel that moving away from production is the right course of action.”

Latimer had previously said she was of Algonquin, Metis and French heritage, from the Ketegan Zebe Anishinabeg and Maniwaki region of Quebec, but a CBC investigation last week challenged the allegations and raised issues about her self-identification.

READ  Neanderthal Genetics May perhaps Clarify Your Reduced Tolerance for Agony

On Thursday, Latimer wrote that she had “made a mistake” in naming Ketegan Zebi as her family’s community before verifying the link.

Trickster is based on a series of novels by Eden Robinson that tells the story of a teenager from Kitimat, BC, who discovers he has magical powers passed down through the generations.

ICYMI …

According to a new report, US Air Force black service members are likely to be investigated, arrested, faced disciplinary action and dismissed for misconduct.

The Air Force Inspector General’s report looked at racial disparities across service and said black members of the Air Force and Space Forces are less likely to be promoted to the ranks of higher enlisted and officers.

It says a third of them believe they are not getting the same opportunities as their white peers.

The report comes as the Pentagon grapples with a broader effort to expand diversity within the ranks. Last week, the Defense Department endorsed a new list of initiatives to recruit, retain, and promote a more ethnically and ethnically diverse force.

General Charles Brown Jr., Chief of Staff of the Air Force, said service commanders should rebuild confidence in their forces.

“Racial disparity is not an easy topic, and it is something we don’t traditionally talk about much about during our leadership levels,” said Brown, the first black man to command the Air Force. “Now we must all move forward towards meaningful, lasting and sustainable change.”

This report was first published by The Canadian Press on December 22, 2020

The Canadian Press

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *