The MH370, with 239 people on board, disappeared on March 8, 2014 off the coast of Western Australia during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, after deviating significantly from its course. The whereabouts of the plane has remained unknown since then.
Now a fisherman says he spotted fragments of debris on the beach on a remote beach about 7 kilometers north of Cape Tribulation, in the far north of Queensland in Australia.
The photos show the wing-shaped find covered in shells and sand.
Mick Elquat said he believed the wreck was part of the yacht’s helm, or a tab from an airplane at first.
He then posted the photos to the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering group on Facebook, sparking speculation from social media users that the wreckage may have belonged to the missing plane.
But aviation researcher Mick Gilbert said the part did not appear “anywhere close enough to the elements” and was likely a piece of Air Neogene Flight 73 that landed without a runway at Chowk International Airport in Wenho in 2018.
He told The Australian: “The segment doesn’t show up anywhere near adequate weathering, has relatively sparse growth, and it’s definitely the wrong color.”
Read more: MH370 hack: 900 people come forward after new appeal
The official investigation concluded that its final resting place was most likely the lower part of the southern Indian Ocean, but despite extensive searches in the area, no debris was found.
Without the black boxes on the plane, we cannot understand what was actually happening on the plane on that doomed flight.
The investigators reached their conclusion based on evidence from data collected by the British satellite operator Inmarsat.
This comes after 900 people submitted information about the ill-fated plane after a new application was accompanied by the prize money.
Malaysia said that if “new reliable evidence” is discovered, it will consider reopening the case.
As a result, last year a group dedicated to helping families decided to start a campaign to help raise public awareness and invite people to hand over any information that might be useful.
With the help of donors, they offered a large sum of money – the equivalent of £ 220,000 – to anyone who might have useful information related to the tragedy.
The campaign is now over and more than 900 people have submitted information.